Thailand and Laos to officially adopt the marriage introduction system
- by admin
A formal agreement between Thailand and the Lao People’s Democratic Republic of the would-be bride and groom to marry has been signed, Thai officials have said.
The Lao Ministry of Gender and Family Development said in a statement late on Monday that the new arrangement will come into force by the end of the year.
A total of 4,566 couples have applied to marry each year in Thailand, but the process is fraught with obstacles, including a long waiting list and a reluctance among some Lao people to embrace marriage.
The new marriage introduction scheme is one of the biggest steps Thailand has taken to tackle domestic violence and to improve women’s rights, the ministry said.
In the last three years, the country has seen a number of landmark civil marriage reforms.
The new law, which has been adopted by the Constitutional Court, will see the introduction of a new law on marriage and civil partnership.
A formal agreement between Thailand and the Lao People’s Democratic Republic of the would-be bride and groom to marry has…
- EDO marriage introduction agency introduces marriage introduction video
- How to create an account to manage your child’s marriage certificate
- When Thai marriage proposals go viral, the government is scrambling to stop them
- When do you think marriage should start?
- ‘This is not about us’: Parents speak out about ‘shameful’ divorce letter